There are both Federal and State requirements that must be met in order to become a Certified Application Counselor. Both the Federal and State requirements involve training and an exam.
Federal Process (Applies to Everyone)
In order for your staff to become Certified Application Counselors to assist patients or other consumers with applying for plans on the Health Insurance Marketplace, your organization must first APPLY to become a CAC Organization.
To learn the details, click here: http://marketplace.cms.gov/help-us/cac.html
Follow these steps to apply:
- Go to http://marketplace.cms.gov/help-us/cac-apply.html and complete the application form.
Within a few weeks, you will receive a welcome packet from CMS by email indicating whether or not you have been approved as a certified organization. Please be sure the person you designate as the contact is the person who regularly checks email for updates from CMS. The welcome packet will include a contract to be signed and returned to CMS within five days, and information on how individual staff can take the training and exam to become certified.
To complete the CMS training and exam:
You can review the content of the training courses on line, via a series of screen shots. However, the information to take the training and exam, which is offered free online, will be included in the welcome packet.
State Process (Government and Tribal entities are exempt from this process)
The Office of the Commissioner of Insurance also requires a training, examination, and registration for Certified Application Counselors. Information on this process can be found below, and here: http://oci.wi.gov/navigator/nonnavigator.htm.
To complete the OCI training:
- Go to www.adbanker.com
- Click on the “exam prep” button
- Choose Wisconsin from the drop down menu
- Click the “navigator” tab
- Select the “online course” button
- Select the “gold” level for $99.95 (OCI provide a study guide free of charge: http://oci.wi.gov/navigator/pi-230.pdf
- Check out.
- Repeat for each individual CAC and maintain records of their course.
To complete the OCI exam:
Examinations must be taken in person at a Pearson VUE testing site.
- Find the closest Pearson VUE testing site near you: https://www2.pearsonvue.com/testtaker/registration/SelectTestCenterProximity/WIINS/606509
- Call 800-274-8979 to schedule an appointment for your staff to take the exam
- Cost of exam will be $75 per person.
To complete the OCI registration:
Fill out this form and email it back to OCI at vog.n1394346713isnoc1394346713siw@s1394346713tnemu1394346713codla1394346713ico1394346713